Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Independence Day // Simple Pleasures

 
 Enjoying a coffee with my sister on July 3rd.
 
While I'm sitting here listening to "We Own the Night" from Finding Neverland: The Musical, I figure I'd better get up a small post about our Independence weekend. It was full of laid back, good, old-fashioned family fun. On Sunday, I went shopping for last minute holiday items with my Mom and sis. Natalie and I had fun goofing off while we shopped. :) We had pizza for dinner, and afterwards, I went and enjoyed some of our towns festivities with my dad and brothers. It was lots of fun, and then we came back and had popcorn and watched a movie.
On the 4th of July, my dad, sister, brothers, and I all went to the parade in our town. We met up with friends, and had a wonderful time, in spite of the fact that it was really wet out.
 
Fun at the parade. :)
  
After the parade, we drove out to my grandpa's house, which is a little over an hour away from us. My Uncle Mark and Aunt Carrie were there, too. Technically, they are not my aunt and uncle, but my second cousin and his wife, but we've always called them that. It was really fun to see them; I have really good childhood memories with them, but I hadn't seen them in several years. Aunt Carrie has cancer, though, so if you could all be praying for her, that would be wonderful.
 It was good to see Grandpa, too, since we had last been there on Christmas Eve.
Grandpa has a lake by his house, and I loved sitting on the dock, reading, enjoying the view, and playing with my siblings. Although it kind of freaked me out, because I was in constant fear that one of them was going to fall in. We also took the boat out for a while, while Dad told us stories about growing up on this lake.
 
 
I could get used to a view like this. Okay, I'm used to it. Guys, I want a lake.
 
It was kind of funny, because we didn't eat dinner till like nine o'clock, and since my brothers aren't used to eating that late, the youngest kept saying he was hungry, and ended up eating a lot of chips. When it was actually time for dinner, he wasn't really hungry anymore. I took my dinner out onto the dock, and sat and ate in the dusk and watched some of the early fireworks.
When it finally got really dark out, we got out our own fireworks and started lighting them. I just watched, though. It was really cool, when we lit off our two or three really big ones, I was standing right under where they were going off, and it was beautiful. After we finished with the fireworks, we came in and had ice cream, and then finally began to get ready to leave. We didn't leave my grandpa's house until about 11:45, and because we also had to get gas on the way out, we didn't get home till about one in the  morning, and I didn't get to sleep until about two.
In the morning, I had a vague idea of going to piano lessons, which didn't end up happening as planned, but I ended up spending the day with my second family. We dropped Allie off at painting lessons at my church first, and then we drove around, and picked up food from Taco Bell, settling on the grass by the church for an impromptu picnic, watching the baby, Hana, out of the corner of our eyes the entire time. We also went to the store after Allie got out, and then headed back to their house, where we spent a cozy afternoon. I almost fell asleep a couple times, because I was still so tired. We had dinner, and watched Hook, before finally getting home a little after 10. It was a really nice day, one of those "pearls on a string" days.
Well, I'd best be off! I'm babysitting some kids at my house in about a half an hour, and I'm going to movie night at my youth group tonight. :)
 
 
post signature

7 comments:

  1. I would talk about how lovely this post is but honestly I'm just loving the Tangled reference. You're my new favorite person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had so much fun! I'll be praying for your aunt.

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did! Thanks for praying for her, Ellie. <3

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you all had so much fun! Loving the Tangled reference. I'll be praying for your Aunt Carrie. :)
    Can't wait to talk to you on the phone when I get back home!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lots of fun! Haha, that quote actually popped into my head while we were there, and I said it to Natalie. XD Thanks for praying for Aunt Carrie!
      I can't wait either! :D Although, that made me realize anew how odd this friendship is. Most people would say I can't wait to see you when you get back, not let's talk on the phone! XD

      Delete
  4. FUN!!!!!!!!!!!! HAPPY LATE 4TH!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you is the highlight of my day. :)