Thursday, July 28, 2016

Elisabeth Visits {Part I--July 23, 24}

 
I have just experienced the most amazing couple of days ever. My best friend--Elisabeth from Reflections of the Heart--- came from her home so far away, accompanied by her mom, and stayed in our home for four nights.
It was the most wonderful culmination of two years of emailing, messaging, talking on the phone, and Skyping. You, see, although we were so close, we had not yet met in person.
And on Saturday, July 23, 2016, we finally did.
 
 
On the day they were to arrive, I was so very excited, and yet it hadn't really sunk in that Elisabeth was coming. I spent the day cleaning my room, preparing, and just trying to let it all sink in.
My dad was insistent that we didn't need to be there until about a half an hour after their flight was supposed to get in. I had my doubts, but since I had no real experience with airports, and my dad did, I let it go.
I was just sitting at the computer, trying to pass the time, when Dad came in and said, "We checked on the flight. It got in early. You have to go!"
And so, after a few minute's scurrying, my mom, sister, and I all were safely settled in the car and beginning the hour and a half drive to the airport. I was a little stressed about how late we were, but since I couldn't do anything about it, I tried to settle in and read a book, or chat with Mom and Natalie; anything to calm those butterflies in my stomach!
As we drew closer, Mom telling Natalie to text Elisabeth's mom that we were fifteen, then ten, then five minutes away, I was pretty sure I couldn't breath my heart was pounding so hard. And then we were in the spot where, somewhere, I knew they were looking for us, too.
"I can see them!" said Natalie.
I leaned as far forward as I can, inwardly regretting the fact that I was in the backseat. "Where??"
"I can definitely see them!"
"Why can't I?" I exclaimed in frustration...
And then they were there.  I slid across and swung my legs outside of the car and, as if in a dream, I watched them load their luggage into the car.
And then I jumped up, and Elisabeth and I hugged for the first time! And then we all got in the car, and pulled out. It was strange how natural it felt to have Elisabeth sitting next to me, in spite of the fact that for about half the drive I was still in a dream like state, and hadn't really processed what was happening.
 
  
 That was a wonderful night! Although, all we really did was just eat pizza and go to sleep. (Correction: everyone else went to sleep. I was too wound up to sleep for hours, and then I woke up early).
 
In the morning, Elisabeth and I just got up, sat in my room, and chatted, since it was about 5:30 A.M., and no one else was up yet. It was so incredible, to finally be simply hanging out, early in the morning, doing normal best friend things. I couldn't believe we'd just had a sleepover! I also gave Elisabeth her first taste of coffee, although I think I sweetened it wrong, and it wasn't very good; nevertheless, she kindly downed it anyway.
Eventually, Natalie, and my little brother, Levi, joined us.
 
 
We eventually began to prepare for church. Elisabeth had sent me one of her handmade shawls for my birthday two months before, and as she had one of her own, we twinned for church.:)
 

 
At church, I finally had the pleasure of introducing my good friends, Evan and Alekai, to Elisabeth, and Evan afterwards accompanied us on our tour of the church. He loved the Bofur hat Elisabeth made for him!



 
After church, we picked up ice cream, made lunch, and then headed out in search of our first adventure.
We found a train, a lake, mountains (they don't have mountains where they live! The horror!) We also found a park....which somehow seemed to be the most exciting part to all of us. XD
 










 
 
As night began to fall, we made our way home. Natalie, Elisabeth, and I got ice cream and headed back to watch the musical "The Happiest Millionaire" before bed. And thus ended day one. I was beginning to freak out a little at this point, realizing how fast that day had gone by, and how quickly the next two would pass.
I will put up posts about the next days soon! Thanks for bearing with this long post. I wanted to put up some of the details, and I had a hard time choosing between the dozens of pictures we got! :D
 
Let me just say--Elisabeth is just sooooo wonderful! I always knew it, but meeting her in person just confirmed it, and, as Natalie said...she's like the sister we never knew we had. If you get the chance to meet your online friend (as long as you are sure they are who they say they are), go for it! It will be one of the best experiences of your life.
 
 --Christine
 
You can see my post for Elisabeth's birthday here, for more details on exactly how this odd friendship came to be!
 
 

8 comments:

  1. That's so exciting! I'm glad y'all are having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh this is so awesome! It looks like you're having a ton of fun <3

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had lots of fun! Thanks for your comment, Ellie!

      Delete
  3. I'm so happy for you Christine! I always cry/almost cry when it's time to say goodbye......Haha. It's just so hard when you've had so much fun.
    I'm glad you had an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. It is so tough to say goodbye! But I guess that's a good thing because it means you had fun. :)
      Thanks, Kara!

      Delete
  4. And let me just say, I will never, ever forget the self-satisfied look on Mr. Biddle's face, nor the two people behind him who looked like the same person with different ages. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No....I will never forget that image. Not in a million years. What's wrong with that?

      Delete

Hearing from you is the highlight of my day. :)