Monday, June 20, 2016

The Way You Talk to Yourself

 It had been a rough week for me. One of those weeks in which I spent extra time beating myself up. I would think over my actions and say to myself, "You are so stupid". Over time, this message slipped into my thoughts more and more, as I repeated it to myself each time any little thing went wrong. On one occasion, I stubbed my toe, and the thought that instantly crossed my mind was, "Well, that happened because you're stupid." My first reaction was to laugh at how silly that thought was. However, when I stopped and thought it through, I realized how sad that was. I had trained myself to think that way until it was at the point where that one thought resembled a pre-recorded message. I also wondered since that moment if perhaps my parents had taught me not to say stupid when I was little not just to protect others feelings, but to protect my own.
The truth is, the thoughts you choose to dwell on, are the ones you feed. I had fed that thought, and let it grow to become a part of me. Don't be fooled; the words you say to yourself are POWERFUL. The way I was choosing to think was detrimental to my confidence and self worth.
But, what if I flipped that around? What if I told myself the right things? What if I chose a Bible verse to plant in my head instead? What if I chose the words from a song like "Meant to Be"?  
A simple change in my thought processes could change me. It could give me the strength I need to be the person God created it to be.
It could change me. And, by choosing to believe God can use me in mighty ways, I could change the world.
Long before you drew your first breath
A dream was coming true
God wanted to give a gift to the world
So He wrapped it up in you
Every step that you’ve taken
Every move that you make
Is part of His plan

You were meant to be touching the lives that you touch
And meant to be here making this world so much more
Than it would be without you in it
You were meant to be bringing the gifts that you bring
And singing the songs you’ve been given to sing
You are perfectly, wonderfully
Beautifully meant to be
You were meant to be

Long before you took your first fall
And stumbled to the ground
God started telling the story of you
To the angels gathered around
Every failure and victory
And everything in between
It’s all in His hands

You are, you are, you are meant to be
You are, you are, you are meant to be

For every breath that you’re taking
And every move that you make
It’s a meaningful life you’ve been given
So live it well

--"Meant to Be" by Steven Curtis Chapman

5 comments:

  1. I totally understand this! I've been going through a similar situation to, and its not easy.
    The song you put up is soooo encouraging to me!<3
    Great post, Christine!
    ~Clara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I'm sorry, Clara! I'm glad you found this post encouraging, though. <3

      Delete
  2. I REALLY LOVE AND APPRECIATE THIS POST VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!!! The song is so wonderful and touching!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been feeling the same way recently, but Elisabeth, Allie, and Anna really helped me to see my value again and set me back on the right track. This post basically summed up all the thoughts they were trying to convey to me. Thank you this was very encouraging. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just started a blog kindredspirits16.blogspot.com is the link!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you is the highlight of my day. :)