Saturday, October 3, 2015

Untitled (9/26/2015)

Shadows hung heavily throughout the quiet room, but curled up close to the fireplace with an endearingly familiar book, they didn’t affect me. I glanced up from the pink, hardcover book to stare into the bright orange flames for a moment and check the time on my phone. Another half an hour until they should return, I thought, returning my attention to skimming through the book I had read several times before throughout my childhood. I had spent the evening at this house, watching two outgoing and fun kids, listening to their reading and piano practicing before settling down to watch a cute movie. Now, the brother and sister were in bed for the night and I was simply passing the time until their parents returned. I turned a couple of pages, before stopping at a scene that had always been one of my favorites and beginning to read again.
“"God knows you hate Borse," Millie said. "He knows what's in your heart and He knows everything you have ever done. He still-” *
A low rumbling suddenly caught my attention and I lowered the book, glancing around while listening closely for the source of the sound. When it did not come again, I shrugged and returned my attention to the book. But only a few minutes later, it came again, and this time I realized what the sound was; a man’s voice, slightly muffled. I guessed it was coming from a radio someone had left on in one of the bedrooms, but I figured I should check all the same. Getting to my feet, wincing slightly as I put weight on the ankle I had somehow twisted, I made my way to the short hallway a few feet away. I hesitated, staring down it at the doors, all shut, wondering if I was just being stupid. I took a step forward, and the voice came again. Only, this time, I felt real alarm. Wherever and whoever this voice was coming from, it wasn’t a radio. I carefully slid my phone out of my pocket, checking that the ringer was off, and pulled up the keypad. I began to dial the number that had been left for me to call in case of an emergency, the one that the father had been most adamant I use instead of 911.

via

This story is real all the way up to the point where the character is standing in the hall--it happened when I was babysitting last week, only the noise really was a radio. :) The rest is just the writer in me kicking in. I literally stood facing the hallway in that dark house thinking I should write a little story about it.
*Here is the link to the book I quoted--it was one of my favorite childhood stories, and I still love it, since it brings back fond memories.
 
 
How are you all enjoying the first days of autumn? Played in the leaves with a little sibling? Had a pumpkin spice latte yet? We're heading to the pumpkin patch next week. I can't wait!
 
post signature

4 comments:

  1. Awesome! I love how you turned a real event into a story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love the Life Of Faith books! (I recognized the quote) :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, really? I've read them too many times to count, and my favorites were always Millie Keith. I used to want to be like her. :)

      Delete

Hearing from you is the highlight of my day. :)