Friday, October 23, 2015

Don't Just Be Yourself

 
I am beginning to feel bothered by the amounts of "be yourself" messages I'm seeing. Not because I don't think you should be yourself, but because these messages are missing something. You see, just being yourself isn't enough, because let's face it-yes, we all have love to give, talents to bless the world with, a smile that others love to bring out of us, but we also have a side of us that is selfish, or perhaps jealous, competitive, easily angered.
 
So, you know what? Just being yourself isn't going to be enough.
 
both pictures via Google images
 
I am beginning to realize that the phrase needs to go more like this: Be the you that God created you to be.
 
The you that would have been without the fall. The you that can truly bless the world and not hurt it. It's beautiful! And not something we can do alone-we need God's help, we need him to show us who that is.
 
And this will then transfer into your relationship with your friends and family; this is how your true, inner beauty can really come out. When you are truly happy for your friend's good fortune, and don't feel the need to try to pass her up. (Trust me, this is one I used to really struggle with, and it helped tear down a friendship). When you are willing to help your friend out although you are tired and would rather go to bed early. When you manage to bite your tongue and not yell at your annoying younger sibling. When you can not complain over the amount of schoolwork you have to do. When you can try to understand where your parent is coming from instead of instantly getting upset.
 
So, yes--you are ALL beautiful, with the unique personalities, talents, and smiles that God has given you-let these things shine! Ask God to help you use them to bless others-and lean on him as you learn to overcome the tendencies that are not right.
 
Praise God that He will help us as we learn to do this!
 
 
 

9 comments:

  1. Great post, Christine. I totally agree with what you're saying!
    ~Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post Christine! It has a really good message. Thank you!
    Simi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Simi! It's one that's been on my heart to write-one of those things were I get into bed and then lie awake writing the post in my head. :)

      Delete
  3. So true! Thank you so much for sharing this. I needed to read this<3
    I really love your new blog design!
    -Clara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Clara! I'm glad it blessed you. :)

      And thanks again! Morning from Morning's Designs did it for me. She's an amazing designer!:)

      Delete
  4. I love this post! It's so true, and I really need to work on this.
    Thanks for the reminder, Christine! Lovely post, as always. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lissie! I have so much to work on, too. I wrote it and then almost instantly snapped back at my mom. It was kind of a face palm moment. But it helped me to apologize more quickly then I normally would have. :)

      Love your new profile picture by the way!

      Delete

Hearing from you is the highlight of my day. :)